Monday, September 14, 2009

Beacon Errand And Concierge Was Born



Why did I choose an errand and concierge business, you might ask? I guess the answer to that question is that I have always found joy in serving others! Satisfied in being a stay-at-home mom I didn't miss having a career out of the home, but I did want to stay busy and found much joy in volunteering. I have for over 30 years worked in different capacities in our church and have served in our children's PTA, and worked with our local Relay For Life/American Cancer Society program. In my daycare business I always felt it was a worthwhile career in that it provided a service to others and in keeping with that love I searched the Internet and my heart for a service oriented business. When I came across some information on errand and concierge businesses it just fit! All the years I worked as a daycare provider, day after day I would hear the parents complain of all the things they had to do and did not know how they were going to accomplish all the tasks before them. Many days rushed parents would try to stop by the grocery store before picking up the children in an attempt to grab a few items for dinner. Beacon Errand and Concierge was born!!
The next days and weeks were spent researching, organizing, putting together a business plan, obtaining a business license, bonding and liability insurance. I then began promoting and advertising. Most of my advertising has been getting the word out to friends and family, getting brochures and business cards out to businesses, building and designing a website and talking to people about creative ways to advertise. With little money to invest, the publicity has been hard, but patience is winning out as I rely on word of mouth and hold on to the confidence that the business will grow and clients will come in. I have had the pleasure of providing service to three clients and have more jobs on the calendar.
To anyone wanting to step out in faith and start a new career or launch your own business I say go for it. But first be certain you have the faith to hang in there. Know when to push and when to fold. One thing I do not recommend is to leave one job or stop one business to begin another, in my opinion never a good idea, but particularly today in the economy in which we live! With me, having the opportunity two years in a row to make a career change I felt I just had to take the plunge and one thing I knew for certain was that I did not want to work just to have a job ... I wanted to work because I love my job! I don't know how things will pan out, I don't know how I will feel in a year, but I do know that I love providing service for others, I love helping make other people's lives a bit easier .. and why not make a career out of making other's lives happier and easier ... it's just seems like a good fit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment